Our Church History
                  Gray Memorial United Methodist Church

James H. Gray was appointed pastor of our Church in 1910. The Sunday School and other branches of the Church had outgrown the old Church. The official board voted on October 2, 1911 to buy a lot on the corner of Sweden and Prospect street and planned the construction of the new Church.

The first service was held on May 4th, 1913. The Gray Memorial United Methodist Church was dedicated by Bishop J. Hamilton on November 15, 1913. The tower clock was a gift from L.J. Pendell, editor of the Aroostook Republican. The Church was built by Architects Astle and Page and named after Bessie the wife of the first Pastor, Reverend James Gray.  Bessie was instrumental in raising the money to purchase and install all the beautiful stained glass windows!

Over the years more changes were made to the Church. In 1947 a divided chancel was installed, together with choir stalls, new altar rail, pulpit and lectern. In 1955 new improved lighting was done and the pipe organ was overhauled later. In 1961 a sprinkler system was added.

New audio/visual equipment was installed in 2011.

Major exterior renovation was completed in the fall of 2012, which included a complete restoration of our beautiful steeple.

In October 2013, we celebrated the church's 100th Anniversary!​​

In January 2015, a minor accident uncovered the hiding place for the Time Capsule that members of our church placed  in 1913.  We didn't know it, but it was encased in our "1913" portico pillar!  We had a wonderful celebration after our Worship Service on Sunday, February 8th and opened the Time Capsule!  It was interesting to see what they left for us to see over 100 years later!
The History & Records Committee had a new (larger) capsule made and placed special items into it and put the capsule in the new "1913" portico pillar during November 2015.